FAQ’s About The Friends Of The Forest
What is a friends group, generally?
Friends groups are common across the country. They are usually formed to support publicly funded or non-profit entities by raising money and volunteering labor, in this case, for a community forest.
Why was the Friends of Lincoln Community Forest formed?
The Friends of the Lincoln Community Forest (FLCF) is a local non-profit organization that incorporated in March 2013 whose mission is to facilitate the conservation and enjoyment of the Lincoln Community Forest. To accomplish this, the Friends group will assist in providing public access, education, and management recommendations to enhance the Forest’s value as a community asset.
What is the organizational makeup of the Friends Group?
FLCF is an entirely volunteer based organization. To date, the FLCF has nearly 200 members and a 15 member Board of Directors. There are three committees of the Board, which are the Membership and Communications Committee, the Forest Projects Committee, and the Fundraising Committee.
What will the Friends Group be doing, and what has it done so far?
The short term priorities were established by the Board in May 2013. They are to:
- Conduct actions that facilitate participation in and access to nature-based recreation activities.
- 2 ½ miles of old logging trails on the south side of the property have been cleared of downed trees and mowed, gates have been installed to restrict unauthorized motor vehicles, and nearly the entire perimeter has been marked with flagging to alert visitors to private property.
- Discussions are underway for enhancing parking and drainage through minor grading, and installing a kiosk for information exchange.
- Provide for educational opportunities through programs and lectures, and volunteer activities that engage youngsters.
- Conduct surveys that locate and assess sensitive species and habitats. Northland College is helping with this.
Do I have to be a member of the FLCF to use the Community Forest?
No, the Lincoln Community Forest is open to everyone free of charge.
How can I become a member of the Friends of the Lincoln Community Forest?
Click this link to our membership form that you can print and mail with your donation.
What will you do with the money you raise from memberships and donations?
100% of all membership dollars will be used on projects in the Forest. Donations can be directed upon request to certain uses, or made available for general operations.
What can I do to help?
- Become a member
- Advocate for our mission and purposes
- Volunteer with the FLCF and show your support for the community forest.